Thursday, December 2, 2010

My Kind of Music

When it comes to music, I love indie pop-rock. Bands like The Magnetic Fields, Fleet Foxes, The Bird and the Bee, Beach House, Grizzly Bear, and Florence and the Machine are constantly playing on my iTunes. That isn’t to say I don’t enjoy different artists and genres. I like other indie artists like Robyn, Yelle, Andrew Bird, and Janelle Monae; local groups like P.O.S., Caroline Smith and the Good Night Sleeps, Atmosphere, Solid Gold, and Cloud Cult; and more mainstream female artists like Beyonce, Rihanna, Lady Gaga, and Janet Jackson. If I had to pick one band that captured the type of music I frequently listen to these days, it would be, hands down, the Canadian indie rock group Metric. The single “Sick Muse,” from their 2009 release, Fantasies, captures my love for indie pop-rock the best:

The main component of indie music has nothing to do with sound; rather, it signifies independence from major record labels in the recording and publishing of albums. However, that freedom allows artists to experiment with beats, melodies, and sounds that are not necessarily found in mainstream music. “Sick Muse” was written by the band’s lead singer, Emily Haines, which gives the song its indie credibility. While its edgy guitar riffs and hard drum beat make the song obviously rock, Haines’ vocals give the single a melodic, catchy, pop vibe. For me, the allure of “Sick Muse” is how easy it is to dance to. I’m a sucker for a good beat that I can groove with, and Metric typically does a good job of making it easy to move to their music, even though they are a rock band. On a personal level, I also think that the song, and the Fantasies album in general, helped me through a breakup and spoke to a time in my life when I was hating love and relationships.

I’m not so sure that I would teach “Sick Muse” to my students, but I find a lot of use in teaching the indie genre. I think it affords opportunities to teach music production and, therefore, the dissemination of ideologies through branding musicians. A lot of people think that because indie music is not commercially produced, it should be hailed as a product free from capitalist ambitions. In reality, though, many indie artists, Metric included, still use the same producers as more commercial artists, even if they are not subject to large recording labels. Many indie artists also rely on the same mediums as their well-known counterparts to get their music across. In the Twin Cities, most indie artists are played on 89.3 The Current, a subsidiary station of Minnesota Public Radio, which, in and of itself, says something about the individuals who listen to indie music. In essence, indie listeners often like to see themselves as outside of society’s socio-cultural strongholds when, in fact, they too are part of the system.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed your post on music particularly because you were more varied in your discussion of bands. I focused on my obsession with Prince. I do however really share in your enthusiasm of Grizzly Bear. I'm kind of a post-punk new wave fan and a lot of your favorite artists remind me of those bands a little - Depeche Mode, the Cure etc. I think the M.I.A video is very powerful. I had not seen it, but I really like her and respect her music.

    ReplyDelete